Just recently while reading a homestead friend of mine page (Not Your Mother’s Homestead on Facebook) I discovered you could eat carrot tops. The actual name of the carrot green is fronds. I am a little surprised that had not eaten fronds before. I grew up gardening and for the most part my Mom found a use for almost anything we produced or grew. So after a little research, I developed a recipe that I quite enjoyed eating.
Start At The Top Carrot Pesto
- First things first rinse your fronds
- Next you will need to avoid the thicker parts of the stalk and the part closer to the actual carrot root, it has a more bitter taste
- After getting several green leaves loose, use two cups of fronds
- Put fronds in a blender or food processor
- Add 1/2 cup of olive oil
- Add 1/2 cup of walnuts
- Add 1/8 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- Add two tablespoons of lemon juice (bottled or fresh)
- Add a teaspoon of pink sea salt
- Blend until it’s fairly smooth
- Enjoy with crackers, in a wrap, with pasta, or on top of rice
Please subscribe and support my blog
My link tree above will take you to my other social media sites
Thank you for reading my blog, there is more to come !